11.25.2009

The Yellow Wallpaper Stays

Thank you all for all of your input on my yellow wallpaper dilemma. I read each and every comment that's left on my blog and appreciate all of your suggestions/comments. I really thought the majority vote would be to get rid of it so I was very surprised when the overall consensus was to keep it and implement some of my original inspiration board ideas into the space.

Because everyone said to keep it I really thought hard about what it was that wasn't working for me. I stood in my bathroom and forced myself to put my finger on it. And whaddaya know? I figured it out. I love the wallpaper and I love the shower curtain. I did NOT love them together. It was like a competition between the lacey print of the curtain vs. the print on the wallpaper. The each could work but not together (at least not for me). Luckily, I had a brand new solid white curtain with a simple border that my sister gave to me just sitting in my linen closet. So I hung it and that did the trick.

(I realize in the last post I didn't have a pic showing the curtain with the wall so here's an overall room pic). Before:



And with the new curtain:



It's really hard to photograph the yellow and white accurately so my bad these aren't the greatest photos. But believe me when I say it's much, much, better! But I didn't stop there. I was on a role. I always liked the faux plant that I had on top of the toilet but I didn't like that the green seemed to make the wallpaper look more green. So I did some changes...

before...


almost there...


I agreed with the comments that said to bring in some of my original idea and I remembered that I had bought some picture frames on sale for $5.99 from West Elm (originally $34.99) and thought that would do the trick. I also thought to take the matches out of the box (seen right in front of the orchid in the above pic) and to put them in a glass bowl. The tips of the matches are a vibrant pink which I thought would be fun.

So here's how my bathroom looks now. All I need are some gray hand towels and proper black & white photos in the frame and it'll be 'done.'







So again, here's the before:

  




And the after:





I really, really love it now and am so glad you all helped me to see that it had great potential. The Ikea rug I want for the living room will have a bit of yellow in it and I think the two spaces will hint at each other really nicely. Oh - and I just wanted to let you all know that the wallpaper is easily removable. It peels right off - which is how it was also marketed on the packaging. When I was putting it up I did a quick test and it peels off leaving no trace at all. So I didn't even ask my landlord if I could put it up because it comes down easily. If you're in a rental and want to inject some pattern with wallpaper - look into the kind that peels off ;)

Oh! Speaking of yellow you wouldn't BELIEVE the yellow find I found at the thrift store this week...

15 comments:

Mandy said...

Very fun Kay! Swapping out the plant for the orchid makes a big difference and I'm sure the shower curtain does as well (its hard to see in the pictures). I think it looks great!

micah said...

Very cute! I like the wallpaper too. Love yellow & grey together. Great job!

Frédérique said...

Lovely...Not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere but would you mind sharing the name of the brand of wallpaper you use? I live in a rental and would love to put some wall paper up in some areas.

Many thanks.

Michelle... said...

Glad you're keeping it! Can't wait to see it with new towels. Also, love the matches idea.

ps: also LOVE that rug. I think it would look fabulous in my living room as well, but I think the $40 one I have now meshes better with my penchant for spilling beverages on the coffee table/floor!

Jason Hudson Dot Com said...

Yes!
You needed the black. The room was lacking contrast with all the warm light and warm colour. You needed the sharpness of black/white. Nice nice nice.

eri said...

wow. what a difference a plant can make!
and i love the addition of the black frames.

Katelin said...

not even kidding i want this bathroom in my apartment like right this second. love it!

DaVida Chanel said...

LOVE IT!!!!

Jessica Claire said...

looks fab! yellow is such a nice and sunny way to start your day when brushing your teeth

where did you find easy peel paper? I have never heard of such a thing!

###### said...

how about a little stand by the toilet.

Sam Olmstead said...

Wow, I really love it! the color yellow ambiance make it more elegant!

san antonio apartments

whygodwhy said...

Keeping the wallpaper was a good idea. Especially since switching out the accessories did require you to spend more money. Peace!

Anonymous said...

that wallpaper is really gorgeous!

(just one note: the picture frame is upside down. the standard matting procedure is that there is more matting at the bottom than the top. this anchors the print.)

-jeanne

Kay* said...

Thanks all! I'm really pretty happy with it now. It really needed those dark elements to make it work.

@Frederique & Jessica Claire - I'll find out the brand and post it/get it to you :)

@Jeanne (Anon.) - Good eye! The mat has finger prints on it so I flipped it until I get a new mat :)

kashyakoosh said...

I'm glad someone else posted the comment on the picture frame, it was bothering me too. The matting should be more on the bottom than the top.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)