11.30.2009

My Gallery Wall - It's Almost There....

Here's some updated photos of my gallery wall. (You may remember it last looking something like this). It's not quite finished - I have a large Ansel Adams print to go at the top and some of my travel photos and other mementos (I'd like to also include my Panama hat I bought in Panama) that I'd like to add.







The black and white photo on the left I won from Mrs. Limestone of the blog Adventures in Decorating a Brooklyn Limestone (she takes the most amazing travel photos which you can buy here). It's was taken during her trip to paris. The necklace in the middle I bought at...Macy's. But I like that it has an ethnic tribal feel. It reminds me of something a Masai Mara tribe member might wear.





These framed butterflies I purchased at a market place while in Panama. I loved the colours - so vibrant.



An ex co-worker brought me back this necklace from Kenya (where she went on assignment). It's made of dried beans.



These photos I took from a travel calendar (see here for my original DIY). They used to hang in the bathroom but when I wallpapered it I decided to move them. Now that they are hanging on this wall I'll be switching them out for black and white photographs.

Originally I only had photographs hanging on the wall. But I was inspired by Maryam of the blog My Marrakesh to add actual pieces (jewelry & other things to come) to the mix. It makes it much more interesting I think. Here's two photos of Maryam's wall.





Now THAT'S a gallery wall! Don't you love it? It just looks interesting...like it tells a story, no? I want to ask about every single piece on her wall. "Who's that?" "Where'd you get that?" "What's that?" "Ooooh, what does that do?" That's exactly the response I want others to have when they look at my wall too. To see more of Maryam's gallery wall click here.

Gallery style walls are quite popular now - do you have one? or planning on doing one?

19 comments:

Mandy said...

What a great way to display both photos and special mementos from your travels. The addition of the necklaces are a great idea and something that I never would have thought of!

Mrs. Limestone said...

Its looking great. And thanks for including one of my photos!

I always want to put together a gallery wall but I feel too uncomitted to actually do it! Maybe in my box room?

T said...

I don't have a gallery wall. I like them, but not for my place right now. My next project is going to be blowing up one awesome photo, then putting it in 6-9 different frames & putting on my wall. I saw it on the HGTV Web site (love that site!). You know I move like a turtle when it comes to home design though, so it'll be a while.

Tiffany said...

I love it! It looks great. We don't have that much wall space to hang pictures (one of the downsides of living in a concrete loft is that all but one wall is concrete!) but I would love to do this once we do.

thatShortchick said...

AMAZING! I love it all.

Jason Hudson Dot Com said...

Looks great!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

what a great post....amazing images and ideas....

Katelin said...

seriously in love with this. love that necklace, such a great splash of color in with the black and white photos. seriously you are an amazing decorator.

Windsor said...

I need to do something like this in my house. I am always upset at the walls. And, every time I put something up, it feels better. I love your design, so colorful and eclectic, truly lovely.

Hopeless Chest said...

This looks fantastic. I love all the pops of colour and the retro prints. Nice job!

###### said...

yes i have one and people love it...

ceecee said...

Girl!! This is nice :)

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Love your gallery wall, especially how you introduced the necklace, etc.
It makes it really personal and tactile. Well done!!

Anonymous said...

I just came across a great post about hanging art but seems like you've got the hang of it.
http://discoverinteriordesign.com/2009/11/tips-hanging-artwork-part-ii/
I want to get a gallery wall started but finding art I like is a problem.

Hasina said...

I have a gallery wall with b&w pictures of my family. Kind of predictible, but it makes me happy. I love your idead of adding mementos though (especially the necklace, which I find stunning).
ps: I just found your blog and love it!

micah said...

I love gallery walls! Really like how you added the jewelry - nice touch!

Kay* said...

Thanks all, especially for commenting about it being 'eclectic' that is totally what I am trying to achieve so I'm on the right track. Maryam's wall is really what inspired me to add mementos. Her home is like pure eye candy!

@Mrs Limestone - totally in your box room...or do you have a hallway maybe?

@T - yes turtle like moves...lol...start with the bookmark holder ;)

@Tiffany - I would LOVE to have a raw loft space to decorate. I can imagine with your fashion sense and your husbands design eye it must be fantastic!

@Rebecca - Welcome!

@Sharon - tactile...i like that word! thank you!

@Hasina - as long as it makes you happy i think that's all that really matters :) welcome to my blog!

1reign said...

I am planning to do a gallery wall on the landing of my stairs(I rent a townhouse apartment). I think it adds a lot of character and I also like people to laugh or ask questions about pictures or items.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)