5.12.2010

I Could Do Anything


I picked this book up a few weeks ago (yes while thrifting-gosh, you all are going to think i buy everything in thrift shops! hahaha) and am really enjoying it (though I am going through it quite slowly - I've been busy). I love the Barbara Sher's writing style. Very straight up - not flowery and hokey pokey. And, I must admit, there's been more than a few times when I've nodded my head in agreement - or at the realization of something. I can't wait to get through it to see what I discover.

Here's some of the intro:

This book is designed to help you find the good life. By that, I don't mean swimming pools, mansions, and private jets -- unless those are really your big passions. But if you picked up a book called I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was, you're probably looking for a lot more than a swimming pool.  
You want a life you will love.
A friend's father got it right when he said "The good life is when you get up in the morning and can't wait to start all over again".....
I don't mean what you're skilled at. I don't really care what your skills are. When I was a single working mother with two babies, you know what my skills were? I could clean house like a demon; catch a moving bus with my arms full of laundry, groceries, and kids; and squeeze a dollar until the picture of George Washington screamed for mercy.
I do not want the career that uses those skills, thank you.
I don't believe you live the good life by doing what you can do; you live it by doing what you want to do. I don't even think your greatest talents necessarily show up in your skills. All of us are good at things we're not madly in love with. And all of us have talents we've never used.
Relying on your skills to guide you is simply unacceptable. That's why I don't intend to give you personality tests or skills assessments to find out what you should be doing.
I know what you should be doing.
You should be doing what you love.
What you love is what you are gifted at. Only love will give you the drive to stick to something until you develop your gift. That's the way really big things get accomplished in this world -- by people no different than you and I who know what they want and put everything they've got behind it.
If you don't know what you want, you can't get out of the starting gate -- and that's discouraging. But you're not alone. Recent figures show that as many as 98 percent of Americans are unhappy in their jobs. And it isn't only financial considerations that keep them where they are; they simply don't know what to do instead. What you may have thought was your private little nightmare turns out to be heartbreakingly common....

So, if you're feeling a bit...lost...or unsure of what you should be doing - I thought I'd share this find. You can probably find it at your local library or you can get it pretty inexpensively online. Click here to head over to Amazon where you can "look" inside the book and read more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

W0000W, I love this book already. I need to get this!

Mandy said...

I have this book waiting for my at the library, I requested it a few weeks ago. I recently read A Million Miles in a Thousand Year, about living a better story and I think that this book couldn't come at a better time.

luxuriouslife said...

Sounds like a book I would really enjoy. I just posted on my blog The Luxurious Life, about celebrating your home. Searching to discover what it is that you love about your environment, embracing it and expanding upon that. Funny I should stumble upon this entry today!! She describes "The Good Life" as I describe "The Luxurious Life". One about following your passion and surrounding yourself with things you love, "status" can be empty. I will pick this book up!!

tarah said...

She is one of my favorite self help writers, check out "Wishcraft" by her also...

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog a few months ago and I love it - especially this post. This book is going on my must read list.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)