9.04.2010

Film, Surprise Birthday Gifts, and Ottawa before India

Still plugging away with my film camera.....

Yup, that's a tomato from MY garden!



I'm particularly pleased and surprised with how well these pictures taken at night turned out...


Downtown Toronto at night


lobster from the best lobster joint in toronto (wish this picture had turned out better)....



I was incredibly lucky to receive VERY thoughtful and amazing birthday gifts this year...


Yes - that is an iPad from my sister her boyfriend and my two teenage brothers. So unexpected and I truly felt so lucky to receive it. And my mom got me the brand new panasonic lumix lx5 camera that I've been lusting for! It shoots HD video (such amazing quality from this little camera - so expect video posts very soon! My youngest siblings (7&9) got me luggage. So cute. All will come in very handy for/in India.

Speaking of India...I also just spent a few days in Ottawa taking part in a 5 day pre-departure training course.

Parliament Building in Ottawa
It was amazing to be surrounded by like minded people who are doing the same thing I am - going abroad to volunteer in the international development field. Between the 24 of us (3 couples) we are going to 14 countries around the world! I now have a couch to sleep on in countries such as Peru, Thailand, Sierra Leone, Uganda, Bolivia, Cameroon, Nigeria, and Tajikistan (among others). Amazing!

Thank you all for the birthday wishes in my previous post and for all of the kind words that were left - they literally make my heart smile.


Sorry for the lack of posting around here. I landed a temp gig that will go until the end of the month (at least) and am also, slowly, packing up the apartment :( Will be moving back home temporarily to save up some extra cash before heading off for India. Since I'm going for sure it just made sense financially. Since I also think I know what type of career I'd like to pursue I'm considering going back to school  - or at least taking a course here and there......we'll see. Bare with me - and thanks for sticking around.

Hope you're all enjoying the final days of summer and have a great long weekend!

9 comments:

###### said...

Lucky lady...an IPAD..DAMN! But even more lucky to have your family...you seem really loved!

Dottie said...

I love these photos and hope you keep at it, even with the awesome new digital camera. Film takes such great night shots. :)

Beautiful gifts from your family. How lucky you are!

Profit From My Closet said...

You received such wonderful gifts. Safe travels to India!

Joy!

Ms. Simone

Profit From My Closet said...

Oh and when I was ordering my wholesale products I came across these cool camera shaped necklaces and totally thought of you :)

Do you have a P.O. Box or address I could ship it to. Would love for you to have it as a happy belated birthday gift.

Joy!

Ms. Simone
simone2380@gmail.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-Shaped-Silver-Necklace-New-/260660721416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb096f708

LindsB said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! What fab gifts from your family, they are so sweet to get you such amazing gifts!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday what wonderful gifts from your family perfect way to capture and stay in touch on your next journey to India! So glad I started following your blog, I think this is my fist comment out of lurk mode

Kay* said...

thank you all - yes i agree, very thoughtful gifts from my family :)

@joy! - that is so kind of you! i don't have a po box but will send you an email privately...

@Mrs. Chic - i'm glad you enjoy the blog and thank you for delurking! always nice to hear from readers :)

Jessica O'Brien said...

your pictures are rad! i wish i had a film camera now!!!

Alex said...

Loving these photos!!! So beautiful, my favorite has to be the first one, although those night shots are stunningly beautiful!! I love your blog :) I just discovered it after reading your message from twitter!! I can't believe you're going to India! I see you have another blog, from India with love, which I am about to also go and check out :) You are definitely living your life as an adventure, and for that I admire you! <3

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)