11.29.2010

DIY Celeb Artwork

Before I get into this post I'll preface this by saying I've had this post saved in my draft for over 2.5 years. Yes, you read right and I didn't make a mistake. 2.5 YEARS. Actually, 2 years 7 months to be exact.

Not cool.

It's a good post I think and it should have been posted a long time ago...so since Apartment #412 will be going on a hiatus very soon I decided now is as good a time as any to get this up. Some of the reference might be a bit...old (like me watching Real World Hollywood)...but other than that it's all good.

Now, on to the post.

**********


Frank Sinatra

First - doesn't Frank Sinatra look cute in that mugshot? Okay, now that I've got that out of the way.

I remember reading about this idea in a magazine a few years ago but was reminded of it recently when I was watching The Real World Hollywood. If you look closely in their main living area you will see artwork using celeb mugshots.




I thought this would be a fun simple DIY to bring the look into your own space. A quick google search found TONS of pics and here, for whatever reason, are a few that caught my eye:

Jane Fonda



Jimi Hendrix

Bill Gates

I myself prefer the old-school mug shots with the numbers in them. But if you do a simple google search you can find tons of celeb mugshots. Everyone from Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan to Michael Jackson....and basically 99% of Hollywood. Look


**********


Updated to add:


I think this would look pretty cool hung either gallery style or the exact opposite - very structured. I'm not sure it would work in every decor but I think it would be quite fun in most...you could even use black and white pics to make it a bit more understated or do the pop art look as above in the RW house.

You could even have a bit of a theme...one I thought of would be prominent figures from the civil rights movement including Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and Malcom X - I can totally see that being a conversation starter. Or if you're into young Hollywood you could do Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Nicole Ritchie...that would be a bit funny.

There are even books filled with celeb mugshots like this one and this one. They are paperback so I'm not sure the pics from it would work to be framed but it's still kinda cool. (Wait, this one is hardcover...)

3 comments:

Tonia Lee Smith said...

It's funny to look at these pictures, but its a fabulous idea.

Anonymous said...

Very cool idea!!!

CabinetParts.com said...

I love this idea! very cool! I especially like the idea of using political figures!

Thanks! Very Cool!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)