5.27.2010

The Greatness Guide

So over the past few posts I've mentioned the book I'm reading, The Greatness Guide by Robin Sharma, and how....well...great I think it is. This isn't the first Robin Sharma book I've read and I enjoyed the others just as much. The subtitle on this book reads: ".....secrets for personal and business mastery."

I wouldn't say they are so much "secrets" as they are tips/suggestions/advice and words of wisdom. Well, maybe they are secrets if you never knew them before. I can honestly say I've had at least 3 AHA moments so far and have underlined dozens of bits of wisdom. Some of which I'd like to share here with you all (shortened to get to the heart of the point as I see it). I even typed some out on pictures so they look nice :) Click image to see larger.

Chapter 11. Mick Jagger and Reference Points.

*(small correction: ...should read Lance Armstrong is a great reference point on perseverance...)
(this chapter - total aha moment.)

Chapter 14. How To Be a Happier Human


Chapter 20. Burn Your Boats.


Chapter 24. Your Four-Minute Mile.
...Before 1954 , it was believed that no runner could ever break the 4-minute mile barrier. But after Roger Bannister broke it, many more replicated it---within weeks. Why? Because he showed people it was possible. They got a new reference point. And armed with that belief, people did the impossible. (so true! you often hear something is hard/challenging to do but then when one person does it...tons of people start doing it afterwards and it's not as "impossible" anymore.) What's your four-minute mile? What false assumptions are you making in terms of what you cannot have, do and be? Your thinking creates your reality (AHA! total lightbulb went off for me) Your beliefs truly become self-fulfilling prophecies (because your beliefs drive your actions---and you will never act in a way that is misaligned with your thinking; the size of your life reflects the size of your thinking)......(ahhhh this entire chapter is one big aha moment)

Chapter 29. Your Schedule Doesn't Lie.
There's an old phrase that says "what you're doing speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you're saying." You can say that your primary value involves putting your family first, but if time with your family is not all over your schedule, well then the truth of the matter is that your family life isn't your priority....Show me your schedule and I'll show you the truth. Because your schedule doesn't lie.....Your schedule is the best barometer for what you truly value and believe to be important. Too many people talk a good talk. But talk is cheap. Show me your schedule and I'll show you where your priorities are. I used to be a litigation lawyer. Witnesses in the courtroom could say what they wanted to. But the evidence never lied. (I never thought about my schedule this way before. Very powerful stuff I think.)

And there are 101 chapters like this.

As I mentioned before the chapters are no longer than 1 or 2 pages and really expand on the suggestion/idea/advice for that chapter. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants some encouragement to...just do something, who wants to live a more fulfilled life, who is starting their own business or thinking of it, or maybe you have your own business and just want to make it greater. In short, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to be greater at whatever it is your doing.

*All excerpts from the book, The Greatness Guide by Robin Sharma available, among other places, here or here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this..im going to have to check this out for sure!

Designwali said...

thanks..I've been looking for something like this to get me going again.

Mandy said...

So many amazing nuggets of wisdom and so true. I read one of his books a while ago and I really enjoyed it.

Dylana Suarez said...

Sounds like a great book!


Just came across your blog. It is lovely!

colormenana.blogspot.com

teeea said...

hey, this is great. i'll check this out.

i've been reading your blog for over 6 months now and it's refreshing. thanks for the inspiration! :)

teeea.livejournal.com

Zeitoune M-P said...

I am definitely getting this book at the library tomorrow. I love it already! Thanks!!!

Jessica O'Brien said...

i do really well with obvious content in inspirational / self help-ish books like these. sometimes, even though you know it in mind or in heart, reading it again makes things "click" just right. like i said, i requested this at the library and look forward to reading it - thank you!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)