6.15.2010

DIY Glassware Project - Updated

I posted this project yesterday and made a point of getting it done, or at least started, right away. I loved the result I'd seen Emma achieve and it was too simple to do to to put off.

So I went to my cupboard and pulled out the empty glass jars I'd been saving up. The two on the end steel need to be emptied, stripped, and cleaned...


And while these would, and will, do just fine, they are (for the most part), the same size and shape. So, I decided to hit up my thrift store to see what I could find. For the record, I'm not the kind of person who would pay for glass bottles when I can just use my own for free - but I knew I'd be able to find some great shapes for less than $2....and I didn't want to wait to empty more of my own :)

So off to thrift store where there were TONS to choose from...



I was momentarily sidetracked by all the brass....




Then I got refocused....




And ended up leaving with these...way more than I expected....




Which looks like this all laid out...



Yes, I bought EVERYTHING above (except one of the white glass milk candle sticks in the back that you can barely see) PLUS a great solid glass juice jug and paid $27 for it all. Most items were 69 cents to $1.49 and I got some great vases in various shapes, mason jars, mason jar drinking glasses, candlesticks etc. What really made my grand total 'high' was the glass juice jug ($5.99) and two...I dunno, decanters or wine thingys (seen in the far right of the photo with the glass ball stopper) that I paid $3.99 each for - for a total of $14. So I'd like to think I really only paid $13 bucks on this project.

But keep in mind, I could have totally done it for free.

Okay, back to the project. After buying all this pretty glassware I couldn't decide which I wanted to paint! "Maybe I'll just leave them as is," I thought. But I thought back to the end result and pressed on...So I chose 3 to start... (I was doing this during The Bachelorette and picked only a few so I could still pay attention to Ali and her 11 guys. Did you see the one dude, the one who got the tattoo, when he kept singing to her?!?!? OMG. I was so embarrassed I ALMOST looked away.)

the one on the far left is my sauce bottle - 
the two on the right i bought for 69 cents each

paint in the vase as I move it around to get it coated...

upside down to drain excess paint...

I turned one right-side up to snap a picture so you could see the result.
I LOVE!


I'm going to do some more and then will post a picture of them all.
This project was perhaps one of the easiest & cheapest I've ever done and I'm thrilled with the results.
I can't wait to display them - with flowers and without.

(thought - wouldn't it be fun to do some in black and use them to decorate your 
table for a halloween party? actually, you could do them in any colour for any occasion.)

20 comments:

Jason Hudson Dot Com said...

Cool! Looks great!

Sing of Singature Style said...

Great project. I'm inspired to try this.
Can't wait to see how you arrange them all.

http://singaturestyle.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Limestone said...

It looks great in the photo but do you find that the latex cracked at the edges? How "finished" does it look?

Zeitoune M-P said...

I love this! I will try to do some over here! Thanks for sharing!!

ZalinaW said...

Great idea! Maybe consider block taping the inside of bottles to get different textured effects.

Jessica O'Brien said...

looks awesome! i too love the brass you got sidetracked on ;)

Kay* said...

@Mrs. Limestone - Hey! The finishes on the vases jars/that have a normal opening look pretty good - I used a stick and a piece of wet paper towel to wipe the opening and they do look 'finished.' However, the one small vase with the flared opening will definitely need some touch up. I will take pictures and share. They are all at the window drying, I suspect because the opening isn't very wide it'll take longer than the 24 hours (as noted in the tutorial) for them to dry. I'm going to do more with regular sized openings (jam jars etc) and I think those will dry faster.

Kay* said...

- oh, i'll also add that all-in-all for what it costs - the flared one looks pretty good despite the imperfection around the opening. it would be easily hid by flowers. But I'm still going to touch it up :)

Anonymous said...

When I saw your original post about this I immediately thought black or baby blue paint would be just as great. But I love how the white turned out.

(As for The Bachelorette, I literally had to turn the channel when homeboy started singing because I felt so bad for him. It was unbearable.)

Rhona said...

The first one is gorgeous. Can't wait to see the rest.

teeea said...

This is great! :)) Please post it when it's finished. I'm going to try this for my room. Thanks for the idea!!

Diva Style said...

Fantastic idea! I'm going to try this!

Soul Pretty said...

..love this idea...Hey, thanks for stopping by...Mini and I are hanging in there...about the dress,,,Oh, wish i could help you, but I can't for the life of me remember where i got it...It's hot...

###### said...

i love these girl. good idea and great job.

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I have some really bright green bottles that I like, but have been thinking they are a little much lately. This may be the perfect way to tone them down a bit. Thanks!

Meander said...

I think this is one of my favourite projects EVER!!! Thanks for sharing doll :)

Kaci said...

Just found your blog and I absolutely adore this idea! I can't wait to try it out for myself sometime this summer! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

they look super chic.
what kind of paint did you use?

shoppingaholic said...

You're amazing girl!! I loved it!!

shoppingaholic said...

I am gonna try that out real quick the coming weekend... whoppies!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I do my best to respond to questions/suggestions - so if you leave one don't forget to check back for my response :)